MOMBASA RAHA

Mombasa is a 100% wow place. I want to buy a house there and become old and wrinkly under the sun.

While we worked just about everyday we were there, we did manage to have a stupendous amount of fun.

One of the highlights was working with BIGSHIP Youth Group, who took us on a wonderful tour of their area. They have only been a youth group for 1 year and have accomplished more than what most youth groups can get done in 10. Instead of the usual boring sitting around in a circle talking, they took us on a trek down to the water where they swim, catch fish and are currently working on a tree planting program. They are the exact definition of people who know how to give and take from the land on which they live. I really look forward to working with them in the future.

Mombasa has the best Swahili ever and my favourite is meeting Swahili people who have lived all their lives in Italy. I wish I could do an impression but you can't hear me.



Bamburi Beach



This is the BIGSHIP beach. This is not a tourist destination, it is only used by the locals and that little boat you see in the water has been carrying residents who live in the hills on the side for 50 years. The residents are the original tribes from Mombasa.



BIGSHIP group member and fisherman extraordinaire.











Needless to say I was feeling overwhelmed to have been welcomed into such an amazing place.

The nightlife is Mombasa is something else, but I don't think it has anything to do with the real Mombasa. I'd rather sit on the beach all day and night than go to a noisy discotheque.

(and by the way these photos were taken on my cellular phone)

Comments