UWH DISPATCH - September 2015 - Safaricom - Solar Lights - Rwanda


Around 6:30 I start to look towards where the sun is setting. Usually it's blocked by big buildings or walls and I see bright colours bouncing off clouds. This is my favourite time of day but rarely do I find myself sitting back with an icy drink taking in a fresh breath of air. Whether I am shooting video, doing someone a favour, or sitting in the back of the bus to do all of the above, I seem to be addicted to my life. The last time i had a good chunk of time off was years ago. Up With Hope is still alive in the depth of my entire existence. I hang on to hope as I walk past hungry kids passed out on the road, I hang on to hope when I shovel dirt into my friends graves and I hang on to hope as I wake up everyday to try and be a positive force in this world. 

Lot's of times kids want me to take their pictures and I wish I could give them the pics 

Live Music serenading us and the community while we work on the field. 

We partnered with Safaricom Foundation who donated some big terraces for the field



We also partnered with Philips who has installed solar power lights.


Now when the power goes off in the community the only light that shines is Slum Soccer! 




We download cartoons and watch them with the kids - this is my favorite work :)

Lots of visitors with no shortage of questions



 
Little Acts of Kindness youth outreach program that visited all the primary schools in Mathare to bring some positivity and leadership to the young kids before exams.




Big Up all the kids in Mathare!

 UN Mission to Rwanda with the Secretary General's Envoy on Youth to check out the youth situation. My video here! 





 The Envoy on Youth Ahmad Alhendawi during our mission to Rwanda when we hit the Congolese border
Rwanda was an incredible place. I am happy to have visited and learned about what incredible spaces they are building for young people there. 

Got some projects going with the United Nations bringing ICT space to young people all over Kenya. Learn more here



INNOVATE KENYA 2015 from Nathaniel C. on Vimeo.




Comments