2011 brings the hype

I'll tell you why I haven't written on here for a while. 2011 has already been more than I could have imagined.

I got a gig teaching video and editing for an organization called "Map Mathare". It has been a learning experience for me and the students that come from all walks of life. I will definitely post some of the stuff we have been making. Some of these people have no experience with computers and have managed to put something together that puts my first videos to shame (mind you I started when I was 9).

Obviously I haven't forgotten about recycling. The past few months we have been doing some local fundraising to get some money to increase our stock (plastic) which will leave us with a larger profit margin. That's the hope anyway. This industry's market fluctuates so often that it's difficult to say how much money you can make from grinding the plastic. The market moves up and down so much that you could just buy raw (unshredded) plastic and hold on to it for a while until the market went up enough that you could you just sell it unshredded and make a little profit.I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it's possible.

We have been supported by Oxfam for part of their Urban Development project. It will give us a lot of room to breath when it comes to the business which means we won't have to sell plastic to pay bills. Imagine you load plastic onto a truck. You arrange a price with the driver. You drive your shredded plastic to the buyer. They refuse to buy the plastic. You move on to other buyers who also say they aren't buying. The truck driver keeps increasing the price. Finally you find a buyer who will give you a shit price. You have no money to pay for the electricity bills, the driver or the guys you brought along for the day to help carry the load. What do you do? obviously you need cash right away. That has been the biggest problem for us, among others.

Another generous donation was given by a woman in London who goes by the name of Mama Biashara.

I will post more later, when I'm not supposed to be working.

Comments